Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Home is where the art is.

Like you, I have some nice stuff - in our house we have some art (yeah, I'm pretty fancy), some jewelry (I like my grille icy, yo) and some collectible things that have some serious value (I'm big into Beanie Babies - they represent at least 50% of my investment portfolio).
As someone who has such incredible things, I make sure that they are covered on my insurance by scheduling them on my homeowner's policy. When you schedule items on your homeowner's insurance, you protect them with an "agreed value" - what they are worth is guaranteed, so that in the event of a loss you can be made whole by the insurance company. While you do have personal property coverage standard on your insurance policy, things that have high value may not be covered completely - things like jewelry and art have coverage limit caps. By scheduling such items, you are just telling the company in advance of a loss that you have these things, and that their value is "x". One of the best things about scheduling items is that by doing so you set them outside your deductible, so you can get full value in the event of a loss - and they are also covered if you just lose them.

Scheduling items isn't just for jewelry, art, or collectibles; you can also schedule sporting goods (and doing that insures them against breakage as well), guns, cameras, electronics, and much more. I don't see as many scheduled items as I should, in my opinion - take a look around your house and asses what you own. If you live the kind of opulent lifestyle that we do at my house, you should talk to your agent about scheduling some of your things. Better yet, call us and let us help you understand the kind of coverage that is available to you. Why pay for insurance if you aren't going to maximize its value to you? 214-253-0570

No comments:

Post a Comment